My Skincare Routine
Often I am asked what I do to keep my skin looking healthy and glowing. Recently I've been told I look 5-8 years younger than my actual age, which is a huge compliment and means I must be doing something right!
My skin wasn't always a priority and I can openly admit that when I was in my 20's I didn't always take the best care of my skin or think about what I was taking into my body and how that might affect my skin. I would even wash my face with bar soap, which makes me cringe slightly now.
When I started Essentials by Nature, I had no intention of launching a skincare line and was only focused on wellness products. When I started to research and listen to my customers, I realized just how important natural skincare is and that so many women struggle with their skin. The skincare products I created have mostly been based off of what I use on my skin and what you, my followers and loyal audience have asked for!
Here are some of the most important skincare tips I can give you and the things that I have found to help me the most. Keep in mind, not everyone's skin is the same but so many of these tips can apply to everyone.
1. I wash my face every single night, no matter what! Even if I've had too many glasses of wine, lol. I can't stand sleeping in my makeup. My skin tends to be on the more oily side so if I don't wash my makeup off, I will most certainly wake up with clogged pores and breakout. I use our Face Cleanse for oily/combination skin. This cleanser has powerful anti-bacterial properties but is gentle on the skin so it won't dry you out.
2. I drink a ton of water! I make sure to carry around a bottle with me everywhere I go and my goal is always to drink 2-3L per day. I'm not saying I always achieve that goal but it is my intention. If I'm having a super tired day and drinking a lot of coffee, I aim to have a glass of water after each cup of coffee. I also try to incorporate water rich foods into my diet like cucumber, spinach and celery.
3. I make sure I know what is in all my skincare and makeup products. Your skin is the largest organ in your body and everything you put on your skin goes directly into your bloodstream! There are so many toxins and chemicals in skincare and makeup products today and it's hard to know what's safe and what isn't. Generally, if you can't pronounce it and have no idea what it is, then it's probably not good for your skin. Health Canada has a Ingredient Hot List that will tell you all the prohibited and restricted ingredients. It's a bit of a read but good to know.
4. I take my vitamins. I mean let me honest, there are days I forget or days I just don't feel like taking a handful of vitamins but for the most part, I make sure to take them. I also make sure my vitamins and supplements are good quality and get them from my Naturopath. Here's what I take in my handful: Vitamin B complex, Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Vitamin D (a super high dose! Make sure to check with your doctor about the dose right for you), Vitamin C, Iron (I'm super anemic), Calcium, Magnesium (oral and topical) and I use Essentials for Skin collagen in my coffee every morning.
5. At Essentials by Nature, we offer a ton of different skincare products for all skincare needs. Everyone's skin is different and responds differently. Here's the products I use religiously that work for me. I'm a busy mom of 2, a nurse and a business owner so simplicity it key to me!!
Morning: I wash my face with the Face Cleanse for Oily Skin. Then a spray our Facial Toner and let it dry (at least 3-4 spritz). I apply Face the Day cream and follow it with a natural sunscreen. Once that's completely absorbed, I apply my makeup. Once my makeup is finished, I spritz our Rosewater Mist for a finishing touch. I find it helps lock in moisture and keep my makeup looking flawless.
Night: If I'm wearing a lot of eye makeup, I will use our Makeup remover on a cotton pad and remove my makeup. I then wash my face with our Face Cleanse, and apply our Facial Toner. At night I use our Luminous Cream. It's super hydrating and doesn't make me breakout! If I have any breakouts or areas of congestion, I will use our Clear Serum on a q-tip and apply to blemishes. The last touch is the Awaken Eye serum. I apply this under my eyes and to any areas with fine lines. (forehead and around the mouth)
Once a week I will use our Charcoal Detox Mask. I tend to use it more in the summer months and will sometimes use it 2-3 times a week depending on how oily my skin is.
I also use our Creamy Coffee Scrub a few times a week as an all over body and face scrub.
People always ask me what my favorite Essentials product is and that's a super tough one for me because all the products are special to me. I would say the product that I absolutely, could not live without would have to be the Facial Toner. It's so good for inflammation, redness, balance and minimizing pores. I use it twice a day, everyday and sometimes more if I workout or it's super hot out.
Have questions about my skincare routine or would you like to know the products I would recommend for you? Send me an email and I'm happy to answer any and all questions!
Remember, Healthy skin is a reflection of your overall Wellness!!!
Lots of love,